Our Graduate Development Program
Graduating this year? Already graduated? We want you!!
What’s in it for you?
Our department offers a wide range of opportunities for the development of your career in the Australian Public Service, including:
- our new two year Graduate Development Program which includes a range of diverse work placements
- a competitive salary and the opportunity for advancement during the program
- central city location in Canberra
- excellent working conditions
- relocation assistance with interstate graduates receiving up to 21 days of accommodation after relocating
- comprehensive training and development opportunities designed to provide you with the skills and capability to meet the challenges of working in the Public Sector, leading to a formal qualification in management or economics
Your placement options
Our department is so diverse that no matter what you’re interested in, you’re sure to find a work area that suits you. Our graduate program offers career diversity and the opportunity to test out different work placements during the program.
Economists play a significant role in our organisation. Graduate economists may get the opportunity to:
- research and write reports on current economic conditions and how they affect the industries our department supports
- assist in the assessment of the economic challenges and opportunities
- compare Australian conditions with international markets
- analyse new data and economic indicators for the Minister to assess the impact on Australian companies.
There are many other roles available for graduates, some include:
- Program Delivery
- Compliance and Risk
- Communications, Online Engagement, Marketing and Media
- Finance and Accounting
- Information Technology (systems development and support)
The Graduate Project
One point of difference between our program and other programs is our major project. Our graduates have the opportunity to collaborate with other graduates on a major project, tackling real-life policy issues and engaging with our stakeholders.
It is a valuable opportunity to:
- develop recommendations to potentially inform policy and/or program delivery
- liaise with customers, industry associations and businesses, higher and vocational education providers, both locally and interstate
- enhance practical skills, knowledge and experience
- work in self-managed teams
- present your findings to the Department’s Executive team.
Learning and development
Valuable training is provided to graduates throughout the program. This includes informative courses on a number of topics such as:
- Foundations of Government
- Policy Development
- Project Management
- Administrative Law
- Presentation skills
- Economics for non-economists
- Strategic Thinking
- Stepping into Leadership
- Working with the Minister
For graduates who complete the program there is a variety of study support options available for further tertiary studies for continued learning and development.
How to apply
Apply online by visiting http://www.innovation.gov.au/AboutUs/CareerCentre/Graduates/Pages/default.aspx
To be eligible for a graduate position you must:
- Have completed a minimum of a three-year undergraduate degree, or have completed one by the end of 2013
- Have an overseas qualification recognised by National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR)
- Be an Australian citizen
- Be prepared to relocate to Canberra.
Successful candidates will be required to undertake security and medical clearances and provide evidence of their tertiary qualifications and Australian Citizenship.
When to apply
Online applications for the 2014 program will open on 1 March 2013 and close on 26 April 2013.
All positions are based in our Central Office in Canberra.
Visit www.innovation.gov.au/graduates or download our new Grad App called InnovationGov for your Android,iPad or Iphone for videos, important dates and tips on applying.
Review our Enterprise Agreement for more information.